Requirements for obtaining a Russian visa. General information
Every Russian consulate has its own requirements for preparing documents, so you need to check the following items before submitting your documents for a Russian visa:
Time period for processing of visa: as a rule the time period may be standard or accelerated
- Procedure for submission of documents: personally by the applicant or by mail/courier service
- Consular charges: depends on the citizenship of the applicant and the time period for the visa applied
- If you are applying for a visa in a country of which you are not a citizen, the Russian consulate has the right to request documents confirming your immigration status in that country. As a rule, in such cases confirmation of permanent residency is required to apply for a Russian visa.
General list of documents for applying for a Russian business visa*:
- your original passport/external passport valid for no less than 6 months after the expiration date of the visa. The passport must have no less than two empty pages to insert the visa sticker;
- a 3 x 4 cm color photograph on a solid light colored background, without corners or ovals (2 photographs are required in many countries);
- a visa application, filled out at web visa.kdmid.ru and signed by the applicant;
- Business visa invitation issued by the Ministry of Internal Affairs . An invitation may be applied for on our site
- An insurance policy effective in Russian territory.
* The indicated package of documents is sufficient in most cases, but you need to check current requirements directly with the consulate where you are submitting the documents
Upon obtaining a Russian visa, the foreign citizen must check that the information on it is correct. Mistakes in the visa, even if they are not the fault of the applicant, may lead to undesirable consequences, both when entering Russia and while you are in the country. Follow the instructions received together with the business invitation to check.
If the information contained in the visa needs to be corrected, you must contact the consulate that issued the visa. Corrections cannot be made when you are in Russia.
Visa Processing Period
Depending on the country where the application is submitted and the type of visa, the standard period for processing may be 4 to 10 working days. Accelerated processing is also possible within 1-3 days (check with the consulate where you are submitting the application to confirm if this is offered).
The consular fees charged for applying for a Russian visa are determined by reciprocal agreement and may vary depending on the country.